Wilmer Office

The Wilmer Office

The Wilmer Office was located on Chapel Point Road just outside the town square. While only a pile of wood remains, the office was a two-story framed building that stood next to the road. Dr. Wilmer purchased the land (acreage undisclosed) from Elijah and Mary Day for $1,000 in 1864, the price indicating that it was a developed lot. Dr. Wilmer's land previously sold for $1,000 in 1855 and in 1827. The deed describes the parcel as Lot 3 on the plat of Port Tobacco, previously called Charles Town.

According to the 1860 census, Dr. William R. Wilmer, the son of the Rev. Lemuel Wilmer, was a physician in Port Tobacco until leaving for Baltimore with his brother between 1870 and 1880. He was also a county commissioner and one of the trustees who established the colored school in Port Tobacco.