The School HouseSchoolhouse

The Port Tobacco schoolhouse was constructed circa 1876, following the Maryland Genral Assembly's passage of the 1865 law that is the basis for the State's public education system today. An article in the Maryland Independent dated October 12, 1876, mentions the opening of the school with Miss Lizzie Fowler as its teacher. Children in grades one through seven attended this one-room school for seventy-seven years. Only white students enrolled until 1924 when it changed to a school for African-American children. schoolhouse interior

The structure is timber-frame with mortise and tenon joint work, all of which is supported by brick piers. The gable roof is covered with wood shingles. The Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco and the Charles County Retired Teachers Association, with the help and permission of the Wade family, owners of the site, restored the schoolhouse in the 1990s. Some of the artifacts recovered from the structure include marbles, an inkwell, and an original school bell. Even some of the original desks remain in the school (left).