Barber House

The Quentzal Store

The Quentzel Store was a small, one-story frame building owned by Julius Quentzel during the late 19th century. The store sold various items including dry goods, jewelry, watches, and so on. The Barber House, constructed in 1953, is now located on the site (see right).

One-time president of the Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco James Barbour, and his wife Elizabeth are the first, and only, individuals to attempt to realize the Society's 1948 mission: to rebuild the town on the original foundations of its buildings. More than 60 years later, that vision probably cannot be accomplished, and it probably isn't even desireable; but the energy and ambition of the Society's founders are a tribute to what individuals, working together, can achieve.