The Court Housecourt house

This reconstructed courthouse serves as the headquarters of the Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco and hosts special events and an exhibit on the second floor. The courthouse stands on the site of two earlier courthouses, the earliest constructed in 1729. This building is designed as a replica of the 1819 courthouse (see right).

In 1727, an Act of Maryland's General Assembly directed that a new courthouse be erected on the "East side of the Head of Port Tobacco Creek, at a place called 'Chandlers Town' allowing 3 acres for a courthouse and a jail." An additional 60 acres were to be divided into 100 lots to form the village. The courthouse was completed by 1729 at the cost of 12,000 pounds of tobacco. In 1808, a severe windstorm leveled both the Courthouse and the Episcopal Church inside the court housenext to it. The church was quickly rebuilt, and a second courthouse was built on the site of the old one in 1819. That courthouse lasted until August 3, 1892, when the main section burned to the ground. Arson was suspected because the court records had been moved outside before the fire started. The south wing (see left) of the courthouse was transformed into a Baptist Church used into the early 20th Century.