Centennial HotelCentennial hotel

The Centennial Hotel was one of three hotels in Port Tobacco in the late 1800s. Based on its name, it likely opened in 1876 for the centennial celebration of the birth of the United States of America. It is possible that the building was formerly known as the Union Hotel, owned by David Middleton, before George JR Hunt changed the name when he purchased the building and lot in 1876. Although nothing Centennial excavationremains of the structure, photographs show that the hotel was a two-story frame structure with a galleried porch (see above). It also appears that the hotel was connected to the Wade House, which may have served as an administrative center for the hotel as well as providing housing for the proprietor and dining facilities for guests.

Archaeology was undertaken in 2008 to find the location of the Centennial Hotel (see left), but excavators--instead of finding the late 19th-century hotel--found the remains of an 18th-century building and aboriginal artifacts dating to, and long before, the arrival of Europeans in the Chesapeake region.